Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day?

By Flag by djwest36.

I am ashamed to admit that I actually had to ask Justin what Memorial Day represents. To me it is a Monday that I don't have to work! It is a long weekend. It is more time that I get to spend with my family because I don't have to work. It is my first holiday of 2010 and I am thankful for it! But for some reason my curiosity struck and I realized that I didn't even know what the day represents....I knew it was something in regards to our military and that I feel the need to fly the flag but past that I was clueless. I had to google it...SHAME ON ME! But I am really glad that I did. So , in case I am NOT alone ( I hope that I am alone and that everyone else really already gets it) I want to share what I learned and some of my thoughts.

Memorial Day is a day to honor, salute and give thanks to those soldiers who have fallen during a time of war. Memorial day is not a day to honor all of our military people but it is a day to honor those who have died in protecting our country. I am extremely thankful for all of the men and women and their families who sacrifice so much for the sake of my freedom. They give their lives and put our country before themselves. Now that is a true HERO. I am proud to be an American and it is because of the freedom that I have and I have this freedom because of these men and women who serve our country in good and bad times. These people put themselves in harms way to protect America and our freedom! It is the families of the hero's who have lost their lives while fighting that I lift up in prayer this weekend: The mothers and fathers who have lost children and the children who have lost their mommy or daddy. It is a selfless act to serve this country and I am thankful for their sacrifice!

I hope that you will peek over at Pioneer Woman's photography page and see her pictures of soldiers and military 'coming home'. It gives me chills and tears in my eyes because not everyone is able to welcome their loved ones home safely. I also can't imagine that feeling of relief when they do arrive after being away and fighting for our country.


In my research to learn more about Memorial Day I found this poem that I liked:


In Flanders Fields

by:John McCrae, 1915.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row That mark our place;

and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.Take up our quarrel with the foe:To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high.If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.


I hope that you have a wonderful Memorial Day and that you will also think of our fallen soldiers. They should be honored and remembered because they are the true hero's of our country! Enjoy your Monday off!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: