Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

Today begin's the season of Lent.  In the past few years I have struggled with the 'what am I going to give up for Lent '.  Is it something that is going to help me...something that I just need to stop or give up anyway and I use this season as an excuse to get me started?  That may be good or bad, either way the fact of the matter is that it is NOT what Lent is to truly represent.  Jesus came. Jesus showed us how to live.  Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice.  He rose.  And He did it all for each and every one of us!  He made a difference for us.   So, as I enter this Lenten season I want do a better job of reflecting Him.   I want to make a difference for Him, for His glory!  I want to draw closer to Him so that He will draw closer to me.  In CBS we are studying John and are right now studying His preparation for His crucifixion (God's perfect timing as we enter Lent).  In Chapter 13 He washes the disciples feet and explains how we are to be servants...He was our perfect example.  The commentary for this lesson went on to explain that it isn't always the actual act of serving but having a servants heart and we can only have that if He lives through us!  I want to be His light.  I desire to grow stronger and stronger in Him so that I can have a servants heart like His.  Sometimes that does mean giving up something so that I can spend better time with Him rather than the things of this world [for pinterest, or blogging, etc].  I hope to achieve that this Lenten season.  I am so thankful for a God who sent His son, for my own sake.  Humbling and unworthy are always my feelings when I think about that truth.  But He did this for me and for you and He wants us to come and sit at his feet and grow stronger and closer with Him....I can't wait to see what He has planned for that sweet time together!

Honestly, I am joining my husband in giving up pasta....that is mostly be default since I am the  maker of the menu around here and to make it a little easier on him.  So, I am giving up the less important things too...but also hope to devote MORE of my time to being in God's word and ask that He will continue to work on cleaning me up from the inside out!

Happy Ash Wednesday to you....

Psalm 51:11 'Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me'

No comments: