Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Socialization

I feel that we are now into a good routine and schedule.  We have now been in school for 2 months along with bible study (Monday nights) plus Church nursery time.  At each drop off and pick up there are tears from time to time (still) and certainly a sense of him holding back in 'wanting' to go and participate.  Since he has not been in nursery or day care up to this point, it has always been a concern of mine of if he is getting the social interaction that he needs.  So, now that we are involved in social settings, is he participating and involving himself in the activities or is he pulling himself away. I keep asking all of his teachers and they keep telling me how sweet that he is and that he is doing fine.  I have no doubt that he is fine or even a good kid, but I just don't feel that he is engaging in activity and the whole experience.

When Mom picked CH up this week his teacher said that he had a few times that he cried for me or Nammie and he sat in her lap quiet for a little while.  She said he is just seemed sad.  Mom asked if he was interacting and the teacher said that he is only to a point.  He doesn't really play with everyone else on the play ground but will play fine by himself.  RED FLAG, RED FLAG, RED FLAG....also translates into BREAKS MY HEART!  She also told mom that he is really sweet and does anything that is asked of him, very willing to do but doesn't really engage.

It is just a huge prayer for me right now.  He does tend to be a bit shy when we are around others that he isn't really familiar with.  I am hoping that this is just a stage that he will out grow.  But am also sad that he isn't really playing and interacting with others.  At home and with friends who he is familiar with he is really great and social.  He certainly doesn't lack confidence in these area's while at home but in the unfamiliar he does seem less secure and confident.  The teacher does feel that it is just going to take time and that he will catch up and adjust.  My MIL also reminded me that he hasn't really ever gone through a supper shy and tentative stage where he didn't like strangers and so maybe this is just that time.  I am afraid he is missing out on the fun he could be having by holding himself back.  But I am also not sure how to help him through this and so we are praying him through it.  I know that God does know and that God can give him the tools that he needs in order to cope, adjust and have confidence.

In my memory verse this month I am reminded that God is familiar with all of our ways!  Pslam 139:1-3 'You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise, you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down.  You are familiar with all of  my ways'   It is God who knows what is going on in that little heart and mind of his and only God can truly know how to meet those needs.  As I am typing this I am realizing that my prayer needs to be that God will reveal to us (Justin, Mom, his teachers and caregiver's and me) what we need to do to encourage and help him through this phase! I would appreciate your prayers with us during this time. More than anything it is just hard as his Momma to see him not wanting to go and do the things that I know have the potential to be a lot of fun!

On the belly baby front; I have felt movement over the past week.  It is just about once a day but I just know that he/she is doing all kind of activity.  According to babycenter it is about the size of an avacado and will double his [I naturally call it a he because that is all that I know up to this point and it is what rolls of my tongue/fingers] weight in the next few weeks.  I go back to the doctor tomorrow and will then know when the big appointment to find out what we are having will be!




No comments: