Monday, September 26, 2011

Actions vs. Intentions

We have been visiting a new church for the past couple of months and just haven't yet made the full commitment to changing our membership just yet.  Tonight was the first time we have visited the evening service (more casual and contemporary).  I am really enjoying the smaller size of this church and look forward to joining and being more involved.  The sermon was great and spoke to me.  The greatest point that I walked away from the sermon was this: Do we just have good intentions or do we live out those intentions in and through what we do? (this was not the whole sermon, but just a small point that was made that stuck with me)  Do our actions reflect what we believe in Christ?  ... In other words, do we walk the talk or do we just talk the talk.  It was something that I pondered on because it is something that I personally want to do better.  I strongly believe in God's grace, His love, His forgiveness and His mercy.  Matter of fact, I am so thankful for these and rely on them in my every day life.  But do I in turn extend this to others?  Do I show others His love or my love (the love that is so imperfect)?  Do I forgive others as He has forgiven me?  All of that to say that I wish and desire and want to be a better reflection of Him to others.

In my CBS lesson last week (we are studying John this year) in the first chapter John explains Christ as the light of the world.  I want His light to radiate through me so that others will be drawn to Him.  Instead, I am selfish, judgmental and prideful.  All of these things I am working on, working to repent and turn from these ugly ways so that I can be a light. My desire is really to carry out those actions and NOT just want, think or consider things but to do what God is laying on my heart to do!

On a different note.  This little tricycle was Chris' when we were little.  Mom has had it out for a few months and Collier's little legs have just not been quite long enough to push the pedals- despite the many attempts.  Friday was his first day to successfully pedal and make it go all on his own!  What a huge accomplishment and I was so proud of him [he was also very proud].  He doesn't quite have steering and pedaling down, but one step at a time!  He did already figure out that when he is going down hill he can pick up his feet and go really fast.  Getting to be such a big boy!

He also did great in the church nursery yesterday - he was the only one in there, so they took him outside to play on the playground.  He even woke up this morning asking me if we were going to church!  We're slowly getting there.  It has been my prayer that he will enjoy, participate and desire to learn and be at church, school and bible study.  I know that God is working on that little heart of his. One thing that we often pray [on the way to school usually] is for God's confidence and peace to fill him up!  It is such a huge reward to watch and see how God answers our prayers - sometimes easier than others!

Luke 9:23-24 'Then He said to the crowd: 'if any of you want to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily and follow me.  If you try to hang on to your life will lose it.  But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.'


No comments: