Saturday, March 15, 2014

Comparison

I referenced in my 'Lent' post an article  that inspired me and has changed my thoughts on what to give up during the Lenten season.  One of the items that I have concentrated on and working to surrender to God is comparison.  It is so easy in our society to compare ourselves to others - we always think that the grass is greener on the other side.  We want what others have and this can easily turn our hearts away from the many blessings that we have right in front of our face.  It is also keeps me from being content. It has been really interesting what God has taught me and working on in my heart.   First, from that article here is what the comment was on comparison
 Comparison - I have my own unique contribution to make and there is no one else like me.

One thing that has really come to light is the impact that social media has on me falling into that comparison pit.  As I scroll through pictures  and see what others are doing and this outfit and that vacation and this accomplishment and that new house and this father who is doing whatever with their child, etc.  The list goes on and the bottom line is that I have allowed myself to believe that the reason that I get on facebook and instagram is to keep up with friends and family!  But in my heart of hearts, I am checking to see how I compare to others.  I am sizing my own life up with others.  I am reminded that the only comparison that really matters is my life to Christ. I am being taught that my value is in Him alone - and not just knowing this in my head but believing it.  As I was praying this morning, it came to heart that the reason I compare myself is seeking out the approval of others.  I am such a people pleaser.  I desire to be liked by others.  But God spoke clearly and said, 'I am who you should be seeking to please'.   I can be content knowing that I am exactly where God intended me to be.  It is no accident that I am where I am. God's divine plan is much greater than mine and His ways are way better than my ways.  Having this right perspective makes me happier.  Wishing and wanting what others have and what I do/don't have will only cause me to chase something that isn't really there to begin with.   He has a specific purpose for each of us.  I am NOT supposed to be like someone else. It makes me smile because I know that He loves me just the way that I am.  So, why do I chase after others when I have the One who really matters already loving me more than I can already image? 

Galatians 6:4 says:
Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct.
I will continue with social media as I usually do.  But it is with a much different lens and attitude.  It honestly brings me peace and gives me a million reasons to be content.  Now, if I can only keep this is perspective and not be sucked back into the wrong way of thinking/intentions.  I am thankful that God is working on me and pruning and correcting me in my ways.

I am glad to be evaluating social media and the things that can impact my life on a day to day basis and specifically in a Spiritual way.  In studying Isaiah in CBS the lesson over and over has been obedience and relying on God.  In a recent lesson it referenced Romans 8:5
Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.  For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
I praise God for His Spirit and that in Him I do have life and peace!
   


2 comments:

brookeisacrazylady said...

great thoughts. and yes there are blogs i do not even let myself check cause too hard not to compare.

i love the quote 'comparison is the thief of joy'

its crazy hearing you say this cause you are beautiful and seem to have to 'perfect life' that others would compare!!! but we all have to remember not to do it.
love your insights

brookeisacrazylady said...

great thoughts. and yes there are blogs i do not even let myself check cause too hard not to compare.

i love the quote 'comparison is the thief of joy'

its crazy hearing you say this cause you are beautiful and seem to have to 'perfect life' that others would compare!!! but we all have to remember not to do it.
love your insights